Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Remembering to Take Care of Me

This morning at around 3:45am, I found myself crying. Just crying. My youngest, Parker, has been waking up at 4:45am for the day and with my husband traveling for work, that means I, too, have been waking up at 4:45am for the day.. everyday. But this morning, I don't know if it was sheer exhaustion or the utter disbelief that my son could be taking one more precious hour out of my "hopeful" 6 hours I get a night, but I broke down a bit. I'm not normally a crier, but today I did.  Clearly, it's time to remind myself of something important. Something that everyone could use of some reminding, and especially mothers: I need to take care of myself.

It's often believed that as a parent taking care of yourself, or even putting yourself first in some instances, is selfish. Here is the problem with that thinking: if I am not 100%, heck, if I'm not even 60%, how in the world can I expect to give my children 100%? During my Body Back training, Farel Hruska used a great example that has stuck in my mind. Every time we fly we are told that in case of emergency, put our own oxygen masks on first before we help others. If we aren't taking care of ourselves, we can't fully take care of others.

For some, this may come in the form of eating the right things that will fuel your body and give you the energy to attack your day. For others, it could be the need to get out of the house and get moving to give yourself a dose of happy endorphins and beat the feeling of lethargy. But for me, I need to remember to rest. And, for now, that might even mean getting in bed at 9pm. Maybe even try to nap (already my body is asking what a nap is)! Whatever way, shape or form, I need rest.

Today I am luckily. After an hour or so, Parker fell back asleep and my next "alarm clock" (aka the three year old) didn't wake me up until 6:15. Also, my husband gets back today and will help relieve some of the nightly duties and early morning wake-ups. I know I will catch a break soon, but that shouldn't leave the lesson unlearned. In short, I have to remember to take care of me.

Random side note: It's always times like these that I think of friends, acquaintances  or complete strangers who are a single parent, have partners in the military, or loved ones who are gone for far longer stretches than a week here or there. I just want to say, YOU ARE ALL AMAZING! I can't imagine doing what you are doing every day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment