Monday, November 18, 2013

NRM: Pumpkin Chili

I know what you're thinking, Another pumpkin recipe?! Well, in short, yes. I can't help it, it's everywhere right now and, BONUS, it's good for you! Naturally low fat and packed with vitamins and minerals, so there. That's why.

I found this PUMPKIN CHILI recipe on Pinterest and wasn't sure what to expect. But in the end, we all really liked it. I loved that it incorporated both black beans and garbanzo beans (which are often mentioned as a great food to give the kiddos). The chili had great flavor and was SUPER hearty. A great soup to dish up on a cold, winter's night :)



Some changes you may want to consider:

  • Adding meat! I will definitely add lean ground turkey the next time I make this. I happened to have some cooked ground turkey that I mixed in with some leftover chili and it made the chili even better.
  • Add more veggies! I don't see why this recipe didn't have at least a bell pepper in there, but I will for sure add 1 or 2 next time. 
Notes from recipe maker to heed:
  • Double it. Definitely double this recipe. Some of the ingredients make more sense doubled too.  For example, if you double you will use a whole can of Garbanzo beans and not have a half a can sitting around getting forgotten in the back of the fridge (am I the only one who does this?). Also, the leftovers were delicious! I love having an easy meal, just a heat-up away.
  • Watch your spicing! She recommends testing as you go, and I agree. I didn't have to double the spice at all. And if you're wondering, I used only 1 Tbl. cumin & 1 Tbl. of chili powder for my doubled recipe. Because the kids eat what we eat, we often add spice to ours at the table with good ol' hot sauce.
Hope you enjoy this Fall fabulous chili :)

No comments:

Post a Comment