Monday, November 25, 2013

NRM: Taco Dump!

This Crock-pot recipe is easy, delicious, nutritious, and a real family-pleaser. While the name isn't exactly attractive, I named it that because all you do is dump everything in. It's so easy, in fact, that I feel like I'm cheating using it for New Recipe Monday. But after making and eating it last night, my husband reassured me that he really does love this meal. Alright, you ready for a meal that may just make your life easier? Here we go!

TACO DUMP
Serving Size: Food for Days

Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts (can sub pork tenderloins, which is what is pictured)
2 bell peppers, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 cans black beans 
Salsa (about a small jar's worth)
Taco Seasoning, 1 packet (if you only have a big container, I would just say a hearty amount)
Healthy tortillas (optional)

Optional Toppings:
Shredded cheese (the boys in my house would not call this "optional")
Avocado, slices or chunks
Hot Sauce (I would not consider this optional!!)

"Dump" all ingredients in the Crock-pot and cook on low for 6.5-8 hours. I always set mine for 7 hours:

Before shredding, it will look something like this (and your house will smell wonderful):

30 minutes before cooking time is up, take 2 forks and shred the meat:

Wrap in healthy corn or whole wheat flour tortillas (try and find ones with few ingredients that you can pronounce!), eat as chili, or put over cooked brown rice. Personally, I like mine as chili with hot sauce and sometimes an 1/8 of an avocado. The boys like them as tacos with cheese sprinkled on top.

Lando's taco last night:

Note: You could cook this on high for half the time, but I have found that cooking meat on high in the crock-pot makes it a little tougher. But in a pinch, it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment