Thursday, September 24, 2009

A Look into my Cupboards

I did a little reflection today as I was whipping up a turkey sandwich for lunch. While I was putting together my delicious sando, I noticed something about my cupboards... They are a pretty decent refection of my diet. I know what your thinking. Something like, Duh Nikki! That is where you get your food to eat, but what I mean is... as I looked around I saw a lot of whole grain, enough protein, good fats (like nuts, etc), plenty of dairy, lots of fruit, but something was lacking. Can you figure out what it is?



I'm lacking vegetables! I do have some, I have salad, edamame in the freezer, and stir-fry veggies for tonight, but I just feel like it's not enough. A recently read an article in Runner's World about plant-heavy dieting and how beneficial it is for you (not diet as in dropping a quick 10 lbs, diet like what we eat everyday). It must of been what led to my reflection in the kitchen. Here's the thing, I love veggies. I could eat them all the time. AND I never met a veggie I didn't like. BUT veggies go bad so quickly, I hesitate to buy them. Am I the only one that feels this way?

So here's a question; what do you do to keep your veggies fresh? I'd love to hear some answers. Or, if you feel the same as me, I'd love to hear that too. Leave your comments!

2 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued by the "cooked quinoa to have on hand" in the frig picture. How do you use it? How long do you keep it? Share your knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really, quinoa can be added to most anything. I cooked a cup or so of it (which turns into multiple cups) and put it in an airtight container. I added it to soup I had for lunch and also to our stir-fry. Personally, I don't think quinoa has much taste, so really it's like you are adding pure protein to your meal of choice. As for keeping it, I'm still learning. I don't plan on keeping cooked quinoa for more than a week in the fridge. I'm not positive on the rules and don't want to break any, if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete