Monday, September 21, 2009

Quinoa Chili

I got this recipe from my sister-in-law and it is delish! If you haven't heard of it before, quinoa is a superfood that is really good for you. Quinoa is somewhat new to the health world, but quickly gaining popularity. So far, this is the only quinoa recipe I have, but if I find more I will let you know. You can find quinoa at your local health food store OR you can get a bag of it at Costco for $8 (the bag will take me months to get through).



Quinoa Chili

2 cans kidney beans, rinsed & drained (really you can use any beans and different beans offers different health benefits, find one right for you)
2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 med. onion, chopped
2 tsp. salt
1 green pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp. cayenne
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
2/3 cup quinoa, rinsed in warm water
1 cup frozen corn
1 can tomato sauce, low salt (about 2 cups)
1 cup water

Heat oil in pot over medium heat. Add onions and saute until tender. Add salt, garlic, pepper and spices. Saute for 5-10 minutes. Add rinsed quinoa and stir in. Add corn, tomato sauce, and water to onion/quinoa mixture. Simmer together 20 minutes. Add beans to the pot and simmer another 15 minutes. Serve with grated cheese, sliced avocado or anything else you like on your chili. Makes 6-8 servings

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipe. I bought my first bag of quinoa a couple of weeks ago, and was going to start the search for this recipe. You must have been on my wavelength!

    ReplyDelete