Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Spotlight: Spaghetti Squash


So some of you might be thinking, "What the heck is that yellow pumpkin-looking thingy?" Well, folks, THAT is a spaghetti squash. My newest healthy love. Now I don't get to eat it all the time (Nate thinks that a meal without meat, is not a meal at all, so I only eat it when he is out of town), but when I do... deeeeeeee-lish! It's nice to mix things up and I was introduced to this veggie so late in my life (yes, my whole 28 years), so it's like a treat! I know there are probably a dozen different ways to eat it, but I thought I would let you know how I've been eating (and re-eating) it. If you've never tried it out, give it a try! So here it is:

Nikki's Spaghetti Squash

1 Spaghetti squash
1 cup spaghetti sauce of your choosing
1/4 parmesan (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup or so part skim mozzarella

Put whole Squash in microwave for 6-7 minutes to soften skin. Cut lengthwise and remove seeds. Put skin-side up on baking sheet and bake at 350 for 45 minutes (or until tender), rotating once or twice. Remove and fork out spaghetti strands into a baking dish. Add salt, pepper, parmesan, and sauce, and mix together. Sprinkle mozzarella over the top and bake until cheese looks like melty, partly golden deliciousness.

Hope you likey!

5 comments:

  1. I totally want to try this! Probably when Andy is gone these next couple weeks...I'm pretty sure he shares the same philosophy as Nate re: the "meatless dinner is NOT dinner"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I discovered this little gem a year ago and eat one about once every two weeks. Did you know that if you cut it in half you can foil-wrap the other half and use it within a few days and it's still good? I cook for one so this is crazy helpful for me.

    Yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's also really good with pesto or just butter and salt and pepper!

    I thought Nate had grown out of that old-fashioned idea . . . not as evolved as I thought . . . give him time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum Yum Yum. I love spaghetti squash I havent made it in a long time I think ill have to get some next week. Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wanting to try this for a very long time. This may have been the push I needed. And I thought Nate had outgrown his aversion to "side dish" meals. Maybe not . . .

    ReplyDelete