Monday, December 9, 2013

NRM: Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

So you know that scene in Forrest Gump where Bubba names all the things you can do with shrimp? That's kind of how I feel about hummus. Rarely does a day go by that I don't have hummus at least once. I love it in my wraps, as a snack with raw veggies, and I've been known to make my one-year-old hummus/avocado sandwiches (which he loves). Because we eat so much hummus in this house, we go through it quickly. Homemade hummus is fresh, easy, cost efficient, and eliminates the chance of unwanted "extra" ingredients. For New Recipe Monday, I thought I would share with you my go-to hummus recipe. This recipe is based off a recipe given to me by my sister-in-law, Emily, and we love it! As a matter of fact, after I made this batch, I had my three-year-old, Landon, taste it and he immediately requested I put some on a piece of bread for him. Hope you love it as much as Lando!

ROASTED RED PEPPER HUMMUS

Ingredients:
2 15oz cans garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
2 Tbl tahini
3 garlic cloves, quartered
1 roasted red bell pepper*
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cumin
Juice of 1 medium-sized lemon

(sorry, pepper, you didn't make the photo shoot)

Put all ingredients in a food processor and combine until smooth. That's it!


Eat however you like and bon appétit!


*You can get your roasted bell pepper from a jar or roast your own (I usually roast my own, but buying jarred is convenient). To roast a red bell, cut it in half lengthwise, and get rid of ribs and seeds. Flatten and place skin-side up on a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil 5-10 mins or until mostly blackened (no, really, there will be big black charrings on there). Place in ziplock bag for 10 mins or until cool (can place in fridge to quicken this step). Peel blackened skin off and voila- you have a roasted red bell pepper!

No comments:

Post a Comment