Thursday, January 10, 2013

Resolution Run - 15k

Sunday I completed my first 15k here in San Diego. I used this run as a training tool for my upcoming Surf City Half Marathon and to test the waters in the pace department. Now, even though I run a lot, I still don't necessarily think of myself as a runner. Instead, I'd say I'm a soccer player who likes to run. That said, I don't have the background in running races like some might. Basically, I've had to teach myself how to hold a pace and sustain it. More recently, however, I've realized that I can run a lot faster than I give myself credit for. Speed, I'm learning, is about 75% mental.

This epiphany came before last Sunday so I went into the race with the goal of keeping under an 8:30 pace. Well, the Garmin doesn't lie:

I ran all 9.3 miles at an average pace of 8:18- goal achieved! I am proud of myself and feel like I'm even more excited for my upcoming half. Training for the half has been going well and I'm finding that I'm more motivated than ever for Surf City. It's a perfect blend of motivation - my 30th birthday in my hometown. I can't wait for February 3rd!

3 comments:

  1. Get it girl! I have my first 10k in Feb. so here's to not being runner and running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Nikki. I commented on one of your posts over at Nikki Picky but since it looks like you keep this one more up to date, I thought I'd leave a comment here.

    We are family!

    I've been working on my family tree and with one of your posts at that other blog, I realized that we have a common ancestor in Jesus Maria Y Jose Peralta and his wife Maria Francesca Bustamante. I'm descended from their son Augustin and you are a descendant from their son Gabriel! That makes us third cousins, once removed.

    You post mentions some documentation you have and I would love to see if we could share notes. I've started a blog site at: http://chavezperalta.blogspot.com to track my progress and share info.

    Great to connect with you here.

    Best regards,

    Joe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    I have a question about your blog, could you please email me? Thanks!!

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete