Friday, June 11, 2010

Spicy Shrimp Pasta


This pasta has become a staple in our house. The recipe is straight out of the Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book. The edition I have is for Breast Cancer and there is a recipe section in the back called "Recipes for Life." This healthy recipe is delicious and easy. If possible, the leftovers are even better than the initial dinner. Try it out!

12 oz. fresh or frozen large shrimp
8 oz. dried whole wheat linguine (I use spaghetti)
2 Tb olive oil
1 or 2 fresh jalepeno chile pepper, finely chopped (as you can see in the pic, I didn't "finely" chop. Nate and I like it a little spicier)
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
2 cups chopped tomatoes (4 medium)
shredded Parmesan (optional)

** As with all recipes, I add more garlic and more freshly ground black pepper, cause that's the way I roll

1. Thaw shrimp if frozen. Peel and devein (if needed). Rinse shrimp; pat dry. Set aside. Cook linguine according to package directions; drain. Keep warm.

2. In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add jalepeno pepper, garlic, salt, and black pepper; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add shrimp; cook about 3 minutes more or until shrimp turn opaque. Stir in tomatoes; heat through.

3. Toss linguine with shrimp mixture. If desired, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

To make it easy, I use frozen shrimp I get from Costco, they are deveined and peeled for you. If you want to make it real easy on yourself, use already cooked shrimp. Make sure not to burn your garlic. Oh, and if you're worried about the spiciness, don't be. It's nothing you can't handle, believe me. Hope you enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious! I'm putting it on my "must try" list, and I'm pretty sure it will go on the repeat list.

    ReplyDelete